Areas of Expertise
Work for a software company that delivers a healthcare interoperability platform, using HL7, X12, XML, and other data standards and formats.
Focused on branding, inbound marketing, and content marketing.
KLJon is an extremely savvy and creative marketer and a joy to work with. He maintains focus on high value deliverables while promoting and encouraging his colleagues and teammates. His managerial skills are absolutely top flight; he brings enthusiasm and a great attitude to the workplace.
JMI worked under Jon Mertz's leadership at BMC software and valued my time as a member of his team; I believe strongly in his abilities to effectively plan and execute results-oriented campaigns. As a leader, Jon was not only very committed to corporate initiatives, but he also took the time to successfully promote his team and bring visibility to its members. It was a pleasure to work for him.
WDWorked with Jon for 2+ years. I hired him into BMC; a solid, steady and smart guy. Great manager, knows how to get the best from his team; a leader who works along side the team. Jon is a low maintenance self starter. Best work is when the hurdles are the highest-gets more dedicated and focused as the things around him are less clear. Great communicator; strong in tactical and strategic situations
- Health Sectors
- Digital Health, Health IT
Vice President, Marketing
Corepoint Health | January 2006 - Current
Corepoint Health delivers innovative software to integrate healthcare applications and connect points of care together for high performance, efficient patient data exchanges. These data exchanges are within healthcare provider organizations as well as with HIEs and ACOs. • Facilitate bringing together a cohesive product roadmap strategy and direction to leverage key healthcare trends and changes • Develop marketing strategy including brand, product positioning, communications, and campaigns • Implement a comprehensive content marketing strategy • Guide lead generation program development and implementation • Lead web strategy and presence • Develop and expand partnerships with companies using Corepoint Health's software as part of their SaaS or bundled offering
HL7Standards.com - Engaging Health & Technology Conversations | July 2009 - Current
Deliver an online healthcare standards community, offering a central point for insights and commentary on the latest news and information. Technology, Meaningful Use, social media, and patient engagement are all driving significant changes in healthcare. Engaging in thoughtful conversations and interesting insights facilitates greater understanding and involvement.
Lead Thought Provoker | Writer
Thin Difference | February 2010 - Current
Facilitate conversations on how to inspire, guide, and challenge Millennial leaders, offering insights, experiences, and an engaging community. With Millennials offering so much potential, we need to engage between generations to enhance and strengthen our leadership capabilities and thinking.
Chair, Social Media Task Force
HIMSS | July 2014 - Current
Manager, Worldwide Partner Marketing Programs
BMC Software | April 2004 - January 2006
• Power partner growth worldwide through the creation and implementation of robust, actionable demand generation programs. Develop and implement a framework for channel programs that generates sales pipeline and revenue and enables enhanced sales and technical skills. BMC Partner Network overall program received 5-Star rating by VARBusiness (March 2005) • Key program elements include demand generation activities (e.g., direct marketing, online campaigns, etc.), sales kits, customer presentations, training, incentives and promotions, banner ads, etc. • Track key metrics for each program including lead generation results by campaign, leads converted to qualified opportunities, sales pipeline generated, and revenue closed • Maintain tight relationships with R&D business units, channel sales teams and key partners to ensure feedback on programs and results
Business Development Manager
BMC Software | October 2002 - April 2004
• Built marketing relationships with strategic partners (Dell, IBM, SAP); developed understanding of the requirements to successfully sell to their customers and formulated effective plans to build awareness and customer leads • Developed channel business model and revenue forecasts to determine partner coverage gaps and partner recruitment targets to increase channel revenue • Recruited new partners, working with field sales organization and R&D business units. Implemented programs to efficiently ramp new partners to revenue • Awarded 100% Sales Club, 2003
QuickArrow (SaaS) | May 2000 - October 2002
• Conducted competitive and market analysis which led to the launch of new branding and positioning, including logo, website, and advertising and collateral templates • Developed and implemented product roadmap strategy and positioning, facilitating requirements and decisions with customers, engineering, marketing and customer support • Defined new vertical market characteristics, sized the markets, and determine success criteria for market entry • Analyzed pricing strategies and introduced new product packaging to increase revenue growth. Developed pricing tools for sales team to streamline the quote process • Evaluated sales pipeline and developed strategy and programs to efficiently generate leads. Programs included email and direct mail campaigns, telesales activities, advertising and public relations efforts. Managed telesales team • Identified, recruited, and managed strategic partnerships, including channel and industry relationships
Manager, WW Channel Marketing
IBM/Tivoli | January 1999 - May 2000
• Directed the development of over 30 customized business and marketing plans for strategic partners, enabling their technical, sales, and marketing capabilities. Achieved 30% growth in channel revenue.
Deloitte | November 1996 - January 1999
Managed complex marketing and sales technology and process improvement projects for Fortune 500 clients, working with clients, vendors, and various project managers. Conducted customer needs assessment for a new telecommunications business and formulated a market approach to grow the business ten-fold in a two-year period. Analyzed pricing methodologies and presented recommendations to improve pricing practices. Redesigned pricing and customer support processes and organization while implementing new sales technology tools (Web-enabled) to realize over $5 million in cost savings.
Manager, Reseller Programs / Process Improvement
VTEL | December 1993 - Current 1997
• Developed and implemented sales, marketing, and training programs to support our reseller channels. • Developed and implemented corporate quality training program • Led and facilitated cross-functional quality improvement teams, implementing new processes and metrics
Various Political Positions | June 1984 - July 1991
Held various appointments including U.S. Senator James Abdnor, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Small Business Administration, and The White House
The University of Texas at Austin - The Red McCombs School of Business
MBA | Marketing / Entrepreneurship | 1991 - 1993
Augustana College (SD)
BA | Government & International Affairs | 1980 - 1984